Friday, May 29, 2009

new day, new adventures.

can i just clear my head for a second?

having a "special needs" child is...well...it's just hard.

i went to liam's last day of school yesterday.
it wasn't a typical "last day of school" kind of thing.
he is in a "special needs" preschool.
i never thought i would be there.
never.
my best friends all have "typical" kids.
in all honestly, i didn't want to go.
i avoided it, and timmy shook me out of it and i went.

i wasn't happy to be there.
actually, i was looking out the window at the other moms who had what we call "typical" kids and i'll be brutally honest...i was jealous.

but then i stopped myself from this spiral that seems to happen.
i told myself that even *those* moms have issues.
mine just happens to be navigating the crazy world of autism.

and then i told my mind to just shut up and looked around the room.
what did i see?
well, it just so happens that there are plenty of rockin' moms that have a kid with "special needs".

i decided to step out of my comfort zone and introduce myself.

the response was amazing!

these other moms are JUST LIKE ME.

we are all navigating the world of "very different" and we all know the intense pain that comes along with wanting your kid to just "fit in".

i felt, for the first time in a long while, that someone understood me.
you have no idea what that feels like.

so while liam and his friend played together so happily afterwards, i met a new friend. a mama. just like me. and i came home on twenty thousand cloud nines.

8 comments:

Scott and Sara said...

I'm so glad you made a new friend, someone who can really relate to where you're at. Love you!

Kara said...

So glad for you! And there was much rejoicing. Hang in there Mama!

Unknown said...

Did you by any chance meet Lori Womack? Joshua's mom?
I know her. She'd be a good friend, too.

Kelle Ortiz said...

Thank you for sharing. I just know you are making a path for so many mothers that will follow in your steps! Keep on my friend. You are loved.

ringleader said...

You touch deeply.

Jess said...

Good for you. It's hard having a special needs. I feel like I have one temporarily with E's Leukemia. I feel like wearing a sign or putting one on her that says "She's going through chemo and steroids... don't expect her to behave!!!" I'm pretty sure you can relate. This experience has given me a lot of compassion and understanding for moms who deal with special needs ALL THE TIME. Big hugs.

Mrs. Chief said...

sounds like you took a route of 'labaling" yourself....we are all just momma's and while you were having your special needs child...I was going through a terrible divorce with four little babies!!! yes we all have "issues" but we are ALL just normal mommy's!

granolachic said...

drippy tears...from a momma...just like you.